Re: Bug trackers

From: Don Armstrong
Subject: Re: Bug trackers
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:28:29 -0800

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     It wouldn't be too terribly difficult to set up an instance of debbugs
>     to allow testing to see if it will work for emacs development. I also
>     wouldn't mind making changes as required to make it fit in better with
>     the emacs development model[1] (as debbugs is rather Debian specific
>     now.)
>
> Thank you.  Please do that; it will be very useful for us.

I'll have a chance to finish setting it up in a day or so. [Made a
mistake, and my DNS ttl is too long for me to finish it now.]

> I expect that any changes which make it more useful for us will also
> make it more useful for other programs whose developers talk a lot
> by email.
>
>     1: I don't really know how you all develop emacs, so I would need
>     significant input on what changes were needed.
>
> I don't have a vocabulary to describe different "ways" to develop a
> program, so I would not know how to answer. Maybe someone else knows
> how to answer you more usefully. But I think that if you subscribe
> to emacs-devel for a week you'll more or less know the answer.

The main issue is that it's set up right now for distributions, where
you have thousands of packages and developers all working on their own
separate little bits of the system and only release managers care
about everything together.

What I kind of imagine is that bits of emacs which are relatively
separate would end up with their own "package" and this mailing list
(or the people responsible?) would be primarily tasked with fixing and
resolving them. But that's just my uniformed idea from the start;
Manoj is probably the right person to recommend any changes needed,
since he knows more about emacs development than I do and has used
debbugs extensively.

Don Armstrong

--
"Because," Fee-5 explained patiently, "I was born in the fifth row.
Any fool would understand that, but against stupidity the very Gods