Re: 23.0.60; Defaut encoding for XML files should be undefined (instead

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; Defaut encoding for XML files should be undefined (instead of utf-8)
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 22:47:47 +0000

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
Not removed, disabled (in some cases).  Specifically, if the *user* or
some application programmer uses `prefer-coding-system' with a
non-Unicode (non-UTF-8?) argument, he won't get the result he expects
for some XML files.  (This is true of my proposal as well, but I'm
proposing that XML encoding be explicitly decoupled from Mule
guesswork, so it doesn't bother me.)

In case you're forgotten, this is precisely the kind of behavior that
distresses the OP.

That's the behaviour that the OP thinks distresses him. But other encodings are highly unlikely to be mistaken for UTF-8, so in practice, pushing UTF-8 to the front of the prefer-coding-system queue is unlikely to distress him.

What is really distressing the OP is that UTF-8 was previously forced, which caused his file to load with binary non-characters in place of his latin-1 characters, and if he doesn't notice it and edits the file, the only coding system he can save as is "raw-text" (and I'm not sure whether the result will be recoverable once he does that).

Compounding that, is nxml-mode was ignoring the request to save as raw-text and forcing utf-8 again, which fails, so the changes cannot be saved.