Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 13:52:10 +0100

On Feb 20, 2008 1:27 PM, Sascha Wilde <address@hidden> wrote:

> One has to turn of more and more features, to get back the traditional
> Emacsian behavior (which I consider the best in many cases).  The policy
> for Emacs once seemed to be (I don't recall if it was officially stated)
> to be rather puristic per default and leave it to the user to turn on
> all the bells and whistles and blinken light he wants.

IMO, defaults should be choosen, if possible, so the behavior is what
most new users would expect. An experienced user will research how to
deactivate something that he doesn't like. A newbie will perhaps just
give up.

The first time I tried Emacs I gave up because there wasn't an easy
way to make it save the current screen position and frame size (easy
as in "just activate this menu option"). And I didn't came from a
particularly windowsy, mouse-driven background, more like PDP-11's
RSX-11M, VAX/VMS, Oasis/Theos and other command-line oriented OSes.

             Juanma