Re: Debbugs testbed

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Debbugs testbed
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 14:46:25 +0100

Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> writes:

>> First: it has no web interface for filling bugs: an easy and intuitive
>> interface for users is paramount.
>
> Reading through http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/Reporting I don't see
> any reason that would hinder us to setup a simple web page for filing
> bug reports with a browser.

I'm afraid that the web interface is more complex than what you
think. Its list of components, versions, maintainers, etc. must be in
sync with those that emacs uses, and this creates some nasty maintenance
work.

> The same applies to creating an emacs interface.
>
>> Second: IMO, it is complex. Look at what you are expected to read just
>> for sending a bug:
>>
>> http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/Reporting
>
> I disagree.  The page explains in length what you should consider when
> writing a bug report at all, the package, its version, a descriptive
> subject, how to assign the bug to the correct component, etc.

It must explain this because there are no intuitive guides. On a web
form (or a sophiticated Emacs form) there are a series of visible fields
that you are expected to fill, plus you can put checks to ensure that
the user fills all required information. If you have not this, you need
to resort to lengthy descriptions as those mentioned above.

> If you specify these informations on a web page or you have to write
> some pseudo headers in your mail makes no such big difference.

No need for such lengthy explanations on a decent web form. Take a look
at

http://trac.edgewall.org/newticket

and please tell me what is not clear to you (and that is a complex
incarnation of the Trac system).

--
Oscar