Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 17:04:11 +0100

On Feb 20, 2008 4:55 PM, David Reitter <address@hidden> wrote:

> I would replace "newbie" with anyone who uses Emacs alongside a number
> of other applications which provide their own editing facilities (even
> if just to fill a form field). That was my situation, and while I'd
> happily adapt one way or the other (w.r.t transient-mark-mode and key
> bindings, etc.) in general, I wouldn't want to switch back and forth
> within seconds.

Of course. But an experienced user does not *need* for Emacs to agree
with other apps he uses: he can customize it. The trouble is
unexperienced users who find themselves with (to them) weird or
unexpected behavior, and no way to fix it. We can give them familiar
defaults, or we can send them to RTFM...

             Juanma