Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default

From: Sascha Wilde
Subject: Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 18:35:45 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

> So, that's for my personal preference.  As to why turn it on *by
> default*, here are some reasons why I think it should be ON by default:
[...]

One important reason against it is, that it makes uses of the mark ring
other than marking text very unpleasant.  The manual starts section 12.6
with the example of using the mark to mark interesting spots in an
buffer so that one can easily jump between them (in many cases this is
faster than saving positions in registers and therefor very
convenient).  In such cases the highlighting of text between point and
the last mark is distracting and useless.

On the other hand (as you pointed out your self) in case you really want
the marking (and the transient-marks semantics) typing C-SPC C-SPC is
still possible and easy.

cheers
sascha
--
Sascha Wilde : "Lies, was ich meine, nicht, was ich schreibe."
             : (Urs Traenkner in de.alt.admin)