RE: Tentative diagnosis of TMM's problem. [Re: Enabling TransientMark Mo

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Tentative diagnosis of TMM's problem. [Re: Enabling TransientMark Mode by default]
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 14:45:31 -0800

> > Question: Is it important that the region stay active when
> > you move point? If not, then perhaps (in t-m mode) we should
> > always have point movement deactivate the region.
>
> In my opinion it is important to behave as other application
> when it is possible

What other applications define the selection using a point and mark? What
other applications extend the selection when you simply advance the cursor
(point)?

> this means that:
>
> - The region should be highlighted when active

That would still be true for the idea I suggested. The region would not be
activated just by moving the cursor; that's all. That's similar to what
happens in other apps, AFAIK.

> - Using shift arrow keys should not deactivate the region

I did not say anything about the shifted arrow keys.

> - Using arrow keys without shift should deactivate the region

That was the idea.

> - Something similar for the mouse but I do not know the
> details since I do not use the mouse for text editing.

The mouse is fine as is, I believe. I don't think anyone has complained
about it in this context.

> On the other hand I find it very pratictal that the region
> stays active for many other commands that moves the point (C-s for
> example). This is the case for cua-mode today.

Maybe my idea would have been better expressed as this: C-SPC would set the
mark but would not activate the region. That way, cursor movements
(including C-s) would extend the inactive region or the active region. In
the case of the active region, the highlighting (in t-m mode) would be
extended accordingly.