vc-backend questionable behavior

From: Mike Mattie
Subject: vc-backend questionable behavior
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 17:46:58 -0800

Hello,

One of my in-development devel tools uses vc. While poking through the API I
noticed this
red flag.

The vc-backend function returns a symbol identifying which backend "claims" a
given path.

Red Flag:

The correct result for directories is only produced when the path has a
trailing slash.

Examples:

here is a path that is the root of a subversion checkout. The evaluation result
for each sexp
is shown below.

(vc-backend "/usr/home/mattie/system/emacs/")
SVN

(vc-backend "/usr/home/mattie/system/emacs")
nil

Version:

23.0.60.2 (old unicode branch I believe)

I can work-around this, but I figured it was the Right Thing to flag it, as
relying on the path
instead of FS calls is a traditional red-flag. It is clearly wrong as well for
the second sexp which is
a valid directory path.

Cheers,
Mike Mattie

P.S: at least in my version vc.el there is no version inserted into the head of
the file, isn't that odd for
     a version control package ?