Re: Tentative diagnosis of TMM's problem. [Re: Enabling TransientMark Mo

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Tentative diagnosis of TMM's problem. [Re: Enabling TransientMark Mode by default]
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 08:19:23 +0000

Hi, Drew!

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 02:16:14PM -0800, Drew Adams wrote:

> Perhaps there is another way to look at this. Just throwing out an idea. I
> imagine that people from all directions will fire upon it, but what the
> heck:

:-)

Doing a bit of heavy distortion and context removal on your post, you've
written ....

> ....but the region is not active, so no highlighting.  ...., if you
> have `mark-even-if-inactive' = t.

This is what I was trying to say in my first post with this subject:  Why
the "so" in "so no highlighting"?  I'm beginning to think that this is
tautological (see below).

I'm beginning to think that people say "highlight a region" (particularly
in non-Emacs programs) when they really mean "create a region".  I think
I've seen Lennart doing this (hi, Lennart!).  This lack of precision is
unhelpful.

> FWIW, I have `mark-even-if-inactive' = t, which means I can always use the
> region, but I can see when it is active (highlighting).

I've now become thoroughly confused as to what an "active" region is.  If
`mark-even-if-inactive' is t, I think "active" has become equivalent to
"highlit".  Somebody please unconfuse me as appropriate!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).