RE: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 09:27:29 -0800

> What do you think of making C-M-SPC (and a few other such mark-*
> commands) turn on temp-TMM?

Yes.

And let's come up with an easier binding than C-u C-x C-x for activating the
mark without moving point or mark. I don't have a good idea for the binding,
but it should be very easy to use.

M-SPC might be one possibility, but that would mean juggling its current
binding.

And it should be easy to exchange point and mark and activate the mark at
the same time.

Here's a thought. What about letting C-x C-x turn on temp-TMM? Would that
bother people? That is a lot quicker than C-u C-x C-x, and it would also
activate for exchanging point and mark.

How about this? C-x C-x would do what C-u C-x C-x does now - just activate,
without swapping. And C-x C-x C-x C-x would do what C-x C-x does now. Yes,
you would need to double C-x C-x to swap point and mark. But it is very
quick to type C-x multiple times.

IOW, I would privilege activating the mark (temp-TMM) over exchanging point
and mark, in terms of ease of typing. Replace C-u C-x C-x by C-x C-x to
activate, and so replace C-u C-x C-x C-x C-x with C-x C-x C-x C-x to swap
and activate.

If some people would be bothered by the highlighting from swapping, then
maybe this could be an option. But I suspect those people might also be
bothered by C-M-SPC etc. also highlighting.