legal status of progmodes/sym-comp.el

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: legal status of progmodes/sym-comp.el
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 13:57:37 -0500

It's can of worms time again...

Dave Love's latest version of python.el requires his sym-comp library.
This is now installed as lisp/progmodes/sym-comp.el.
It is "Copyright (C) 2004  Dave Love".

As far as I know, he has expressed no interest in contributing this to
Emacs, so I don't see that we can just take it and make it copyright FSF.

I mean, I have a blanket past and future Emacs copyright assignment,
but that doesn't mean you can take any elisp code I happen to put on a
website and make it copyright FSF - only those things I explicitly
contribute.

(We seem to be interpreting the lawyer's statement:

   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-05/msg00466.html