Re: Git repository and branches ?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Git repository and branches ?
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 12:01:21 +0900

Xavier Maillard <address@hidden> writes:
>       git checkout -b lexbind origin/lexbind
>
>    [After that, you can switch to your local lexbind branch by just
>    using "git checkout lexbind"; to switch back to the trunk, use
>    "git checkout master".]
>
> Will my local git repository be able to "track" the activity of
> the branch I am working. In short, will git-pull also fetch
> branches?

That command should set up a "tracking branch" by default (I just
checked, and indeed --track is now the default; it didn't use to be,
though, so be aware if you have an old version of git), which means
that "git pull" will fetch and merge the current branch.

[I'm a bit fuzzy on what exactly gets _fetched_ by default -- whether
all branches from the origin remote, or only the origin branch
corresponding to the current branch -- but I know only the current
branch will be _merged_ when you do "git pull" or "git merge".  So
after using "git checkout BRANCH" to switch to a new branch, it's a
good idea to use "git pull" again to make sure it's up to date.]

-Miles

--
Marriage, n. The state or condition of a community consisting of a master, a
mistress and two slaves, making in all, two.