Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 17:57:09 -0500

    No, I'm pointing out that M-< sets the mark, at least in XEmacs, and I
    use M-< .... C-u C-SPC a lot.  I use C-s ... C-u C-SPC in the same
    way.  I don't think I would like it very much if this activated the
    region and put the highlighting in my face.

Neither of those activates the region in Transient Mark mode.
So it looks like what you're ask for is already implemented.

Is there a misunderstanding?

    So maybe C-SPC C-n should leave you with an active region, but C-SPC
    C-u 256 C-n should not.

That seems to be a totally different issue, unrelated to the previous
one.

I think it would be a bad idea to make C-u 256 C-n treat the mark
differently from C-n.  So I have to say no to this idea.