Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 09:08:50 +0900

Richard Stallman writes:

 >     No, I'm pointing out that M-< sets the mark, at least in XEmacs, and I
 >     use M-< .... C-u C-SPC a lot.  I use C-s ... C-u C-SPC in the same
 >     way.  I don't think I would like it very much if this activated the
 >     region and put the highlighting in my face.
 >
 > Neither of those activates the region in Transient Mark mode.
 > So it looks like what you're ask for is already implemented.
 >
 > Is there a misunderstanding?

My point is precisely that those are convenient for navigation because
they don't activate the region.  I don't want that to change.

 >     So maybe C-SPC C-n should leave you with an active region, but C-SPC
 >     C-u 256 C-n should not.
 >
 > That seems to be a totally different issue, unrelated to the previous
 > one.

The relationship I perceive is that the distance moved may have a
correlation to the user's desire for highlighting and mark activation,
and tolerance for extra keystrokes to explicitly activate the mark.
In my case, it does.

 > I think it would be a bad idea to make C-u 256 C-n treat the mark
 > differently from C-n.  So I have to say no to this idea.

OK.

Maybe I'll try it and if my perception is that there is some
improvement to be had, I'll see if there's a way to implement a
similar effect without violating this intuition.