Re: font-backend

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: font-backend
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 02:23:26 +0000

YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu wrote:
I'm developing a font backend driver using Core Text, which is a new
framework available from Mac OS X 10.5.  It was slower than Emacs 22
first, but now it shows good performance with caching the results of
metrics calculations.
Yes, it is definitely the metrics calculations that are slowing things down on Windows too. I added some code to cache the metrics for ASCII characters some time ago, but the problem remains for buffers containing many non-ASCII characters.