Re: longlines-mode

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: longlines-mode
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 21:03:12 +0100

On Sat, Feb 23 2008, Chong Yidong wrote:

> Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> - The default off `longlines-show-hard-newlines' should be changed to
>>   t.  When set to nil, there's soft and hard newlines are
>>   indistinguishable.  I tried longlines-mode several times, but I
>>   found it very hard to use until I discovered this option.
>
> The current default is more familiar to new users, since it is the
> behavior in the other editors/editing widgets that longlines-mode
> imitates.  I don't know of any other editor that marks hard newlines
> by default.

If the defaults are chosen for similarity to other long-lines editors,
I'd guess you should turn on `longlines-wrap-follows-window-size' by
default.  At least gedit (and notepad.exe, IIRC) do it by default.

> I suspect most of the people concerned about identifying soft vs hard
> newlines with a glyph are very experienced Emacs users, who should
> have no trouble changing the default.

Hm, maybe you are right.  I use longlines-mode only occasionally (up
to now; maybe more often in the future) either when receiving files
from others with very long lines or when editing text in Emacs before
pasting it e.g. to HTML forms or some M$ programs.

Maybe displaying an indicator in the fringe by default?

>> - The default value of `longlines-show-effect'  [...]
[ ... and customizing it. ]
>>   Maybe splitting string and face would make it easier to customize
>>   it?
>
> Good idea.
>
>> - As the "old name" of `¶' ("PILCROW SIGN", old name: "PARAGRAPH
>>   SIGN", U+00B6, 0xB6) indicates, this symbol might be more suitable
>>   as a default in `longlines-show-effect'.  [...]
>
> I'll play around with it and see how well it works.

Thanks.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,