Re: [22.1.90]: Point before start of properties

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [22.1.90]: Point before start of properties
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 23:18:24 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 14:29:31 -0500
> Cc: address@hidden
>
>     It can be solved almost trivially, IMO, by providing a special -Ox
>     switch which would turn off every optimization whose results cannot be
>     expressed reliably using the modern debug info formats.
>
> Doesn't -O1 do that job?

No, not really.  -O1 disables ``expensive optimizations'',
i.e. optimizations that use significant portions of processor time.
Thus, which optimizations are selected for inclusion in -O1 has
nothing to do with which ones defeat debugging, and the fact that -O1
compiled programs are easier to debug is a pure coincidence.  I'm
quite sure several important optimizations could be added to -O1
without any significant effect on debuggability.