Re: Git repository and branches ?

From: Xavier Maillard
Subject: Re: Git repository and branches ?
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 03:00:08 +0100

   Xavier Maillard <address@hidden> writes:
   > I tested it here and it worked like a charm. The only drawback is that
   > switching from a branch to master and vice versa takes very long...

   Really?  That's very surprising.  For me it's about 5 seconds to switch
   between some emacs branches, with a cold FS cache (once stuff is in the
   filesystem cache, switching is essentially instanteous).

Maybe is has to do with the hardware then; my /home is mounted
onto a SDHC card as my current laptop does not have a valid
internal HDD.

Here are the results of consecutive git branch/git checkout:

address@hidden> git branch
                               ~/usr/src/GITed/emacs
* master
  rmail-mbox
address@hidden> time git checkout rmail-mbox
                               ~/usr/src/GITed/emacs
Switched to branch "rmail-mbox"
git checkout rmail-mbox  5.97s user 1.04s system 6% cpu 1:41.16 total
address@hidden> git branch
                               ~/usr/src/GITed/emacs
  master
* rmail-mbox
address@hidden> time git checkout master
                               ~/usr/src/GITed/emacs
Switched to branch "master"
git checkout master  5.16s user 0.88s system 8% cpu 1:07.25 total

As you can see, the results are really bad but I do not
switch between branch so often.

   Are you per-chance using windows?

Are you joking ? :) I am using a real GNU/linux system, more
precisely, it is a Slackware 12.0 GNU/linux system.

        Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org