Emacs 23, sluggish performance

From: Eric Lilja
Subject: Emacs 23, sluggish performance
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 15:42:19 +0100

Hello, I'm using a checkout from the trunk built yesterday on my WinXP with the new font backend enabled. Emacs feels very sluggish even with just my .emacs settings file opened which is not a big file. Scrolling in the file is slow, selecting is slow. Maybe not the same response I'm used to when typing either. I normally select and scroll with the mouse, which I know is probably under-using emacs but it wasn't slow before. When I look at the task manager I see emacs is consuming practically no cpu time and memory usage is modest (around 25 MB). Also, the binaries are built with debugging information. I'm wondering what I can do to speed things up, maybe rebuild without debugging information and not enabling the new font backend but it shouldn't be necessary I feel.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

- Eric