A way to get a list of available functions / variables?

From: Taylor Venable
Subject: A way to get a list of available functions / variables?
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 11:20:12 -0500

Is there a way to programmatically get the list of available functions?
I'm thinking there must be a table somewhere which relates symbol names
to actual function definitions, but can you get all the names in the
table from Lisp code?  If so, my second question would then be if I
could do the same for variables.

The reason I ask is I've got this thing going on at my college where
I'll write up an Emacs "function of the day" on the whiteboard in the
computer science lounge.  It'd be cool if I could automate this process
to automatically choose a random function or variable and build like an
RSS feed of the results or something.  Because I don't know how many
times I've been just randomly browsing around the documentation or
source and found something like c-subword-mode that I otherwise would
not have known even existed!

Thanks.

--
Taylor Venable            http://real.metasyntax.net:2357/

foldr = lambda f, i, l: (len(l) == 1 and [f(l[0], i)] or
                         [f(l[0], foldr(f, i, l[1:]))])[0]