Re: Latex, utf8, and verbatim in GNU Emacs 22.1.1

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: Latex, utf8, and verbatim in GNU Emacs 22.1.1
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 23:31:47 +0100

[Please include the emacs-devel mailing list in replies.]

On Sun, Feb 24 2008, Ásványi Tibor wrote:

>>>So my guess is that the your "courier" font is not a "unicode font".<<
>
> You must be right. But this is a problem with the Windows version of
> GNU Emacs 22.1.1. Is not it?
> After all, I experienced this problem in the Windows version of GNU
> Emacs 22.1.1.

I don't know about Windows.  Show us the output of `M-x describe-char
RET' when point is on ö inside the verbatim environment; I'm quite
sure that Windows users are able to suggest a unicode font replacing
your current font.

> (In Linux, I use GNU Emacs 21.3, and there is no problem with the
> verbatim environment of the LaTeX files.)

Fortification may differ from Emacs 21 to 22.

> If I use the alltt environment instead of the verbatim environment,
> GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (for Windows) displays each of the characters correctly.

So it seem you don't use AUCTeX[1] (which treats alltt just like
verbatim, AFAIK), but the Emacs-builtin LaTeX mode[2].

[1]
,----[ <f1> m ]
| LaTeX mode:
| Major mode in AUCTeX for editing LaTeX files.
| See info under AUCTeX for full documentation.
`----

[2]
| LaTeX mode:
| Major mode for editing files of input for LaTeX.
`----

Reiner