RE: highlight failed part of isearch input

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: highlight failed part of isearch input
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 15:47:08 -0800

> Please no #f!#%@, use a readable color name, there's plenty of them...

Why?

The user sees the color in Customize (and in isearch). What's the problem
with using an unnamed color as the default?

FWIW, a name such as "peru" tells me less about a color than its RGB name:
#FFFFA7BA4E60. That at least says that there is a max of red, quite a bit of
green, and a little blue. Red + green = yellow/brown, so you have some idea
what to expect. With the color name "peru" you might expect a ceviche lime
green or a Pacific blue or anything else - no help at all.

Such hex codes are second nature to those who design and implement with Web
pages (which includes a lot of programmers), and even for novices they can
say as much or more about a color as an English name.

But any name or coding is not that helpful to get an idea of a color - you
have to see it.

I don't think we should pick colors for UI design (e.g. defaults) based on
their names, but based on their properties. Pick the right color, regardless
of what convention we use to name it.