Re: require GNU make to build emacs?

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: require GNU make to build emacs?
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 17:09:40 -0800

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

  > > From: Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden>
  > > Cc: address@hidden
  > > Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 21:22:41 -0800
  > >
  > > Yes, IMO there's a good reason.  Being able to use conditionals,
  > > includes, and other advanced features should allow us to avoid using the
  > > C preprocessor to create Makefiles

Does it make any sense to discuss this now? Doubtful...

  > The way to avoid using cpp is to autoconfiscate our configury, so that
  > the configure script produces src/Makefile from src/Makefile.in.  (Not
  > that I think this is such an urgent task, given that the current setup
  > works so well and that the rate of new OSes and/or changes in the
  > existing OSes is so low lately.)

Or we could just split the s/* m/* files into C header files and real
makefiles.
I would just mean change the syntax from C to make for the part that is
actually intended to be used in makefiles.  Of course the proof that
this is indeed possible is in the details, but it seems that there's a
good changes.