Re: Problem with narrow vs condensed fonts

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Problem with narrow vs condensed fonts
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 10:54:57 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> > I found that this change:
> [...]
> > interacts badly with this change:

> What kind of "bad interaction" are we talking about?

Jason's change is to set the weight to `normal' when a user
doesn't specify then fontconfig-style font name.  So, Emacs
tries find a font exactly matching with `normal' weight.
But, as I put a code to treat fontconfig's numeric values
for `regular (80)', `normal (80)' `medium (100)' the same in
ftfont_list (*), that function had included regular weight
font in the return value even if `normal' weight is
specified.

But, as you changed the numeric value of of `normal' weight
from 100 to 101, ftfont_list doesn't include regular weight
font (most of ttf has regular weight).

(*) This adhoc code is to adjust ftfont_list to what Emacs
(or X fonts) think about normal weight.  The old codes of
xfaces treats `medium' `normal' `regular' the same.

By the way, I have not yet considered well about the problem
of non-"bijective" font-XXX-tables.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden