Re: [gmane.emacs.bugs] Emacs fails to start properly if the current work

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [gmane.emacs.bugs] Emacs fails to start properly if the current working directory is on a vfat or ntfs filesystem
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 23:53:24 -0500

>>> Here is a patch against EMACS_22_BASE.
>>
>> I'd rather use a less arbitrary scheme.  E.g.
>> - only accept unchanged safe chars (rather than rule out
>> dangerous ones), e.g. [:alnum:] and maybe a couple more.
>> - everything else encoded following quoted-printable.
>>
>> Of course, QP applies to bytes, not to chars, which also points to
>> a potential problem with [:alnum:] since it includes multibyte chars
>> which may also be rejected, but I think that would be safe enough for
>> a start.

> What do you mean by quoted-printable?

QP uses "=NN" where NN is the hexadecimal code of the encoded byte.
Using "%NN" instead would work as well, of course.
Or maybe "%NNNN%" so as to accept arbitrary chars rather than just bytes.

> I was thinking that we could instead change all unsafe chars into the
> same character, e.g. an underscore.  I don't think there is much risk
> of name clashing (in the first place, we already use make-temp-file to
> generate a unique filename.)

That would be simpler, indeed.  But I cannot assess the risk and the
current code goes through some extra trouble to avoid name clashes, so
it seems safer to follow the original code's intention (and implicit
risk assessment).

        Stefan