Re: TODO

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: TODO
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 10:48:14 -0800

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

  > >> Please let me know if anyone is already working on one of these tasks.
  > >>
  > >> ** make emacsclient accept -nw as a synonym to -t.
  > >>
  > >> ** Replace some uses of the preprocessor code in Makefile.in with the
  > >> equivalent autoconf.
  > >>
  > >> ** Make "emacs --daemon" start emacs without showing any frame.
  > >> Use emacsclient later to open frames.
  >
  > > AFAIK nobody has publicly announced that is working on any of these.
  >
  > > Do you have a copyright assignment on file?  If not, it would make sense
  > > to get started on that as soon as possible, so that it is ready by the
  > > time you finish writing the code.
  >

  > >> ** Make vc-checkin avoid reverting the buffer if has not changed after
  > >> the checkin. Comparing (md5 BUFFER) to (md5 FILE) should be enough.
  >
  > > I have a patch for this one.
  >
  > > But it needs a few more eyes on it from people that know the code
  > > involved very well to make sure it is correct and the right thing to do.
  > > The patch itself is not too complicated.
  >
  > BTW, I'd like someone to clarify the goal.  I.e. what is it trying
  > to fix.  It seems that if the file hasn't been changed, the current code
  > should at the very least end up not modifying the buffer (since
  > insert-file-contents already compares the bytes to find the unchanged
  > prefix and suffix).  So what is the difference in this case between
  > calling revert-buffer and not calling it?

The goal is not to revert the buffer after a checkin.  Right now files
are reverted by default after a checkin (because of the possibility that
keyword expansion can change the file?).  Not reverting would be good
because it would keep the undo history (you probably remember that
discussion).

[BTW, it's quite possible that my patch is barking at the wrong tree...]