Re: Error during redisplay

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Error during redisplay
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 18:46:19 -0500

    > to .emacs fixes the problem. Apparently, pure strings in
    > mode-line-format don't like to be added auto-composed properties.

    In auto-compose-chars, inhibit-read-only is bound to t while
    the code add auto-composed property.  If it's still not
    allowed, are there anyway to detect that the string is pure?

There is something not clean about trying to modify a string in
mode-line-format when a user turns on a feature that doesn't intend to
change the mode line.  That seems like a flaw in the design of
something.

The strings in mode-line-format are supposed to be set up correct when
Emacs is dumped.  Should they have these properties, or not?  That is
the first question.

If they SHOULD have these properties, probably we should make sure they have
these properties from the start, or from an early point in building Emacs.

If they SHOULD NOT have these properties, why is anything trying to give
them these properties?

Stefan wrote:

    > In auto-compose-chars, inhibit-read-only is bound to t while
    > the code add auto-composed property.  If it's still not
    > allowed, are there anyway to detect that the string is pure?

    The only way I can think of is to try it and catch the error signalled.

One possible solution is to avoid making those strings pure in the
first place.  But this could be papering over a design flaw, so first
we should look at the questions above.