Re: Emacs pretest 22.1.91

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Emacs pretest 22.1.91
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 02:56:46 +0100

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 2:20 AM, Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden> wrote:

>  That is a question for someone who understands the multi-tty stuff, I think.

Let me reformulate that:

`frame-initialize' causes the loading of libxpm now because in 23.X it
calls `tool-bar-setup'. The new code in frame-initialize has this
comment:

          ;; Make sure the tool-bar is ready to be enabled.  The
          ;; `tool-bar-lines' frame parameter will not take effect
          ;; without this call.
          (tool-bar-setup frame)

This code is part of Károly Lőrentey's multi-tty merge (lisp/ChangeLog
entry of 2007-08-29).  However, at least on Windows, removing the call
to `tool-bar-setup' fixes the original problem and does not seem to
cause any trouble, not even the one mentioned in the comment (I
commented out the call to tool-bar-setup and set the tool-bar-lines
frame parameter to nil in my .emacs and it did take effect).

It'd be useful to understand why was it considered necessary to do the
tool-bar-setup here. Perhaps it could be deferred via
emacs-startup-hook or somesuch.

             Juanma