Re: 22.1.90; desktop-save throws (error "No buffer named <uniquified buf

From: Martin Fischer
Subject: Re: 22.1.90; desktop-save throws (error "No buffer named <uniquified buffername>")
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 13:43:22 +0100

8<--------------------------------------------------------------------

  >   ...\emacs-22.1.90\bin\runemacs.exe -Q
  >
  >   Customize the variable uniquify-buffer-name-style to "reverse".
  >
  >   List the directories c:\otto\ludwig and c:\karl\ludwig with dired.
  >
  >   M-x toggle-debug-on-error RET
  >
  >   M-x desktop-save RET
  >
  >     Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "No buffer named ludwig")
  >       desktop-save-buffer-p(nil "ludwig" dired-mode nil 185 (nil
  >       nil) t ("c:/otto/ludwig/") nil)
  >       apply(desktop-save-buffer-p (nil "ludwig" dired-mode nil 185
  >       (nil nil) t ("c:/otto/ludwig/") nil))
  >       desktop-save("~/")
  >       call-interactively(desktop-save)
  >       execute-extended-command(nil)
  >       call-interactively(execute-extended-command)
  >
  >   M-x list-buffers RET
  >
  >     .%* *Backtrace*            392  Debugger
  >      %  *Completions*          167  Completion List
  >      %  ludwig\karl\           184  Dired by name     c:/karl/ludwig/
  >      %  ludwig\otto\           184  Dired by name     c:/otto/ludwig/
  >         *scratch*                0  Lisp Interaction
  >       * *Messages*             957  Fundamental

8<--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

thanks to Stefan and Juanma for solving this problem in the new
pretest version (emacs-22.1.91).

Nevertheless the solution opened up a new one:

  If I look at the root directory of a windows partition in dired mode
  (uniquify-managed), desktop-save creates an entry with an empty
  buffer name (uniquify-buffer-base-name seems to return that) in the
  .emacs.desktop file:

    (desktop-create-buffer 206
      nil
  --> ""
      'dired-mode
      nil
      118
      '(nil nil)
      '("c:/")
      nil)

  This in turn prevents desktop-read to continue processing the rest of
  the .emacs.desktop file after issuing the message

    "setq: Empty string is invalid as a buffer name".

  .emacs:

    (custom-set-variables
      ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
     '(desktop-save-mode t)
     '(uniquify-buffer-name-style (quote reverse) nil (uniquify)))
    (custom-set-faces
      ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
     )

Sorry for being a nuisance.

Martin
--