TODO item: obsolete bug-reporting commands

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: TODO item: obsolete bug-reporting commands
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 21:26:18 +0200

Hello,

The TODO file says: "Check for any included packages that define
obsolete bug-reporting commands.  Change them to use report-emacs-bug."

After taking a preliminary look at the emacs source, I have the
following questions:

What is the difference between reporter.el and emacsbug.el (the
emacs-devel archives seem to be silent on reporter.el)? The following
files use reporter.el:

calc-misc.el
dired-x.el
hilit19.el
viper-cmd.el
tramp-cmds.el
ps-mode.el
vera-mode.el
octave-mod.el
vhdl-mode.el
cc-mode.el

...and maybe a few more I couldn't find at first grep.

The following use emacsbug.el:

eshell.el
supercite.el
edebug.el
ffap.el

...once again, there may be more.

Some of the those use `define-obsolete-function-alias' to point at
report-emacs-bug for emacs version "23.1", and some use`defalias'
instead. Also, some autoload the alias, and some don't.

To recapitulate the questions:

1. Should Emacs packages which use reporter.el be converted to using
   emacsbug.el and reporter.el retired?

2. Should report-emacs-bug be called using
   `define-obsolete-function-alias' or `defalias'?

3. Should (2) be autoload-ed?