Re: global authinfo mechanism in Emacs, Gnus, Tramp

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: global authinfo mechanism in Emacs, Gnus, Tramp
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 09:12:04 -0700

Ted> I'm tired of specifying special variables for authentication everywhere
Ted> in Emacs and in Gnus.  I see a *lot* of questions about setting those
Ted> up in Gnus, as well, so I think we can do better.

Additionally it would be nice not to have to set the variables by hand
at all... Emacs could remember the passwords in a keyring.

Ted> entry:
Ted>  protocol-or-purpose: ['pop, 'imap, 'imaps, 'ssh, t]
Ted>   hardcoded: (:user "me" :password 'ask :cache 60)
Ted>   file: (:name "/a/b/c" :epg-parameters () :other-parameters ())
Ted>   command: (:program "/bin/true" :parameters ())

Gnome's keyring manager uses (more or less) an application-specified
alist and returns the best match.  That way different users of the
keyring can store the information they need there.

Tom