Re: TODO item: obsolete bug-reporting commands

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: TODO item: obsolete bug-reporting commands
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 14:24:35 -0500

Yoni Rabkin wrote:

> The TODO file says: "Check for any included packages that define
> obsolete bug-reporting commands.  Change them to use report-emacs-bug."

I think I added that. All I had in mind was, some packages (eg
supercite.el) still directed bug reports to somewhere else, even
though they had not been developed outside of Emacs for a long time.

It's good to find those and update them to send bug reports to the
normal Emacs address.

On the other hand, some packages (eg calc) have active maintainers,
and if they want to receive bug reports somewhere else, that's their
prerogative. So it can't be a blanket replace, it needs checking with
the package maintainers.

Or perhaps this policy will change if and when a bug database comes
into use. So the short answer is that it's probably best to wait and
see what happens with the current debbugs experiment before doing much
about this.

> What is the difference between reporter.el and emacsbug.el (the
> emacs-devel archives seem to be silent on reporter.el)?

AFAIK, one is a general bug-reporting mechanism, the other is
specifically for Emacs.

> 1. Should Emacs packages which use reporter.el be converted to using
>    emacsbug.el and reporter.el retired?

No to the last part. Perhaps to the first part. If the bug reports are
going to the standard emacs list, it's good to use emacsbug, since it
has more bells and whistles. However reporter allows for optional
specification of a variable list, which some packages use. Perhaps an
optional argument could be added to report-emacs-bug to insert a list
of variables and their values.

> 2. Should report-emacs-bug be called using
>    `define-obsolete-function-alias' or `defalias'?

I would say d-o-f-a, so that things can one day be further simplified.
Eg sc-submit-bug-report can just go away one day.

> 3. Should (2) be autoload-ed?

I think in general it's reasonable to expect people to load a package
before trying to report a bug in it, so no.