Re: TODO

From: Evans Winner
Subject: Re: TODO
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 16:23:11 -0700

    I don't see the use case where starting Emacs without a
    frame is preferrable over starting it on demand. Is it
    that Emacs shall run as background server process?

I use Emacs sort-of like this.  I leave one instance running
(usually an X version) on my desktop machine at home.  It
has a lot of state and loads a lot of libraries at start-up.
I connect to it with emacsclient from other virtual
consoles, from my laptop at home or at coffee shops, from
work, from school, from friends' houses.  When I connect, it
takes much less than a second to be back where I was with
whatever I was working on.

But sometimes I actually work on my desktop machine, where
if X crashes, or I accidentally blow something up, I lose
that state.  I may be missing some normal mode of use that
would solve that problem, but it seems like it would be
pretty elegant to have Emacs as a daemon that starts on
boot-up (ideally--or login) and then I could otherwise
forget about it, and connect on demand.