Re: MAINTAINERS file

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: MAINTAINERS file
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 00:21:34 +1300

 > Could you identify the specific problems you think might arise without
 > a MAINTAINERS file?

For a start there are now two maintainers instead of one, so it would be
helpful to know how their roles are divided.  I guess the MAINTAINERS file need
not contain any more than this.  OTOH, if Stefan and Yidong are not going to
maintain Emacs like Richard, i.e. with complete authority and complete
coverage, then authority needs to be devolved.  (Disclaimer: I have
no interest in becoming an area maintainer).

 > You use "chaotic" pejoratively, but I'm not necessarily convinced :-).
 > It really depends on the kind of chaos (if any).  Many projects
 > operate without area maintainers, and do just fine.  Having area
 > maintainers can lead to gumption-thwarting territoriality and
 > unnecessary power relationships (I'm not saying power relationships
 > are always bad, but unnecessary ones are).

Chaos is never favourable, although anarchy may sometimes be.  Someone has
to always arbitrate over any disagreement.

 > Let's wait until there's a problem before imposing a solution like
 > this.

Like what?  There always has been a power structure for Emacs but I guess up
till now it's been so simple that it didn't need writing down before.