Re: Suggestion: A fringe indicator that shows the last/first line before

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Suggestion: A fringe indicator that shows the last/first line before scrolling
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 12:39:17 +0900

"David De La Harpe Golden" <address@hidden> writes:
> nongui terminals and gui terminals without fringes could use
> alternate highlighting strategies I guess. Not sure what alternate
> highlighting strategies are sensible, anything other than fringes
> seems kinda ugly.

The usual GUI version of this feature just draws a line across the
window, which seems ok.  Similarly, Emacs could highlight a whole line
with an appropriately low-key face (either a subtle-ish background color
change, or an underline might be appropriate).

Of course it might be hard to fine faces which are sufficiently low-key
on low-capability terminals (8 colors, no underling or bold, etc), but
at least if there's a face to be defined, the user could try to find
something which works for them in such cases...

-Miles

--
Congratulation, n. The civility of envy.