Re: crashes during Feval from within WINDOW_WANTS_HEADER_LINE_P

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: crashes during Feval from within WINDOW_WANTS_HEADER_LINE_P
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 20:53:03 +1300

 > > and it looks to me like the elisp function whose name is stored in
 > > `window-wants-header-line-function' is a lisp primitive which either has
 > > too many argumnts ( > 8 ) or whose argument list has been incorrectly
 > > defined.
 >
 > I found the same in the code, but this is not true. The function is
 >
 > (defun need-header-line-p (window)  t)

You're right, abort is called from Feval, not Ffuncall.

 > and it seems to get called in some situations without problems.
 > Perhaps there is some re-entrance business when re-display is
 > triggered from the Lisp side? Is that possible?
 >
 > I've not found much in the way of documentation (beyond a section in
 > the the Emacs Lisp Reference), and it's pretty hard to find one's way
 > into the C source.

The source _is_ the documentation, as they say.  I've found lisp.h a good
starting point. Any real documentation can easily become outdated but the
XEmacs Internals Manual by Ben Wing is good for some things, like specbinding.
Generally though, if it seems difficult to understand the source code that's
probably because it is difficult to understand the source code: there's no
silver bullet.