Re: On the new startup and scratch buffer

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: On the new startup and scratch buffer
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 10:20:48 -0500

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

> OK, let's do everything what would be the best now to avoid any kind of
> incompatibility for the upcoming release, but I still don't understand
> the problem.
>
>     inhibit-startup-message
>     initial-scratch-message
>
> The option inhibit-startup-message as an alias for inhibit-startup-screen
> still disables the startup screen regardless of the value of
> initial-scratch-message.
>
> In 22.1, inhibit-startup-message was an alias for inhibit-splash-screen
> that disables the startup screen.  So users who have inhibit-startup-message
> set to non-nil in .emacs will not see the startup screen (though they will
> see the initial message in the scratch buffer if not explicitly disabled it
> using nil for initial-scratch-message).

No.  I just checked this: in 22.1, non-nil inhibit-startup-message
causes Emacs to start up with an empty scratch buffer, the same as in
Emacs 21.

For compatibility, I think your patch has to be modified so that
inhibit-startup-message is no longer an alias of
inhibit-startup-screen, and then make it do what it did in Emacs 22
(i.e, display an empty scratch buffer on startup).

In the meantime, however, please revert this change for the 22.2
release.