Re: patch for Dired second header line info

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: patch for Dired second header line info
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 19:57:38 +0200

>> > Sorry, it didn't appear to me that the number of listed
>> > files would be useful too.  But we can display both numbers on
>> > the same line using the traditional notation "listed/total"...
>>
>> Good idea. Go for it. And perhaps that will obviate the need
>> for `files listed' instead of `files'.
>
> Attached: patch for this. The text is now:
>
>   files 420/694 space used 19646 available 56456000

The string `total' is the standard string printed by `ls' so maybe we
should keep it.  Also what do you think about further compacting
this line as:

total files 420/694 space 19646/56456000

or using the same function in `size-indication-mode' that displays the
size in the mode line in human-readable format:

total files 420/694 space 19KB/56MB

Also we could add a tooltip explaining what these numbers mean if they
are not obvious.

> Meaning: 420 files shown now, out of 694 total in the directory. Subdirs are
> treated the same way.

In your patch maybe better to move dired functionality to dired.el or
dired-aux.el and rename `count-dired-files' to `dired-count-files'.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/