Re: capslock changes control characters?

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: capslock changes control characters?
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 10:38:26 +0000

On 3 Mar 2008, at 10:08, Chris Moore wrote:

C-q C-i

I got an error:

Turns out I had capslock on.  This is reproducible in "emacs -Q" in
the default *scratch* buffer.

Would is also be nice if Emacs converted keys bound to normal commands back to their lower-case variant when Caps Lock is active?

For instance, I've got C-x B bound to another function (switch-to- buffer-here). When Caps Lock is on, Emacs reads C-x B even though I did not use the shift key. While this is logical from a programmer's perspective, as a user I often have Caps Lock on by mistake, causing regular mixups.

(You may criticize the useless Caps Lock key, you may comment on the poor choice of the C-x B key-binding (it's only an example), but one has little control over these things one for various reasons.)