Re: Changes to emacs/etc/images/icons/README,v

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: Changes to emacs/etc/images/icons/README,v
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 12:07:07 -0800

Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:

  > Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:
  >
  > > Except that if the one missing format is what the user requires by
  > > default, it will look ugly => bug report.
  >
  > They are good enough for emacs 22, why should they suddenly become ugly?

It's obvious: what if in 5 years from now only .svg icons are used or
the default size is not one of the ones provided for old icons?

  > >   > > It's simply not worth it to have to deal with all these things.
Keep it simple.
  > >   >
  > >   > There is nothing complex about it.
  > >
  > > Of course there is.
  >
  > Please explain.

This whole discussion is a good enough explanation.  How about explaining
why installing many versions of an icon is important?  And why should
emacs do it when no other application does it?  Where should we stop,
should we install old version of the toolbar icons too?

This should have been discussed more: the old icons were put in the tree
only because "there's no harm".

The fact that they get installed by default should have been discussed
separately, as it is a new thing that has not been done in the past when
icons have changed.