Re: Changes to emacs/etc/images/icons/README,v

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Changes to emacs/etc/images/icons/README,v
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 16:02:13 -0500

My goodness, it is stormy in this teacup!

Dan Nicolaescu wrote:

> Clutter.

I think you are being silly.

> When we get another icon, there will be 2 more people that like the
> previous version, so we'll have emacs22.png emacs23.png emacs.png.

Yes.

(Oh, and if you want numbers, I don't like the new "Mac" icons. But I
don't care what the default Emacs icon is, so I made no comment when
opinion was solicited. I also don't understand your desire to change
the Emacs icon every major release, but neither do I care. If it makes
you happy, you go ahead.)

> And after that the people that like the emacs-19, 20 and 21 icons will
> come out and ask why aren't those icons to be installed by default?

If I had the right formats and clear copyright assignments, I'd
install them now.

> More, the emacs22 icons are not available for all sizes and formats
> (no .svg).  We will get bug reports that a format is missing.

You can assign all such bug reports to me. I will happily ignore them.

> Even more, is there any other application that installs multiple icon
> versions? I can't find any on my up to date desktop machine.  Why should
> emacs be special in that respect?

Why shouldn't it?

> It's simply not worth it to have to deal with all these things. Keep
> it simple.

By "all those things", you appear to mean emails. I assure you, the
effort expended in this thread already far outweighs any that might be
required to deal with these putative emails.

I'm just offering people who want to make a choice an easier way to do
so. And I'm doing the necessary work, so I don't see what your problem
is.

I also feel like pointing out it was me who wrote the Makefile rules
to install the precious icons, at your request. What you are actually
asking for is to change these rules to only install `emacs.png'. This
is utterly trivial, but I disagree with you that this is needed. But
if people agree with you, I'll make that change.