Re: On the new startup and scratch buffer

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: On the new startup and scratch buffer
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 02:34:48 +0200

>>> The recent patch was installed after complaints from users that even
>>> when initial-scratch-message is non-nil the scratch buffer is still
>>> empty.
>
>> I agree that `inhibit-startup-screen' should not disable the scratch
>> message, but I think that emacs-quick-startup (-Q) should. (After your
>> patch it doesn't.)
>
> I see no reason why -Q should inhibit the scratch message.
> It's probably OK if it does, but it seems preferable if it doesn't.

One reason for -Q to inhibit the scratch message is backward
compatibility: when the user sends a bug report for Emacs 22.1 that
says: "Run emacs -Q and in the scratch buffer do this and that..."
then the result may be different depending on the initial text in
the scratch buffer.

OTOH, users include the version number in bug reports anyway, and
using the same version to reproduce the reported bug will give the
same result.  So I see no more reasons to inhibit the scratch message
for -Q.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/