RE: patch for Dired second header line info

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: patch for Dired second header line info
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 14:28:32 -0800

> >     The tooltip also helps:
> >
> >     "Files shown, total files in dir, Kbytes used in dir,
> >     Kbytes available on disk [RET, mouse-2: more info]"
> >
> > Each number should have its own tooltip which explains that number
> > and not the others.
>
> Sorry; I don't agree. The meanings of the numbers are related
> (similar), at
> least in pairs. Four separate tooltips would be more an
> annoyance than a
> help, because the similarities and differences can't be
> grasped without a
> silly back-and-forth:
>
> 420: Number of files and subdirectories currently shown in directory
>
> 694: Number of files and subdirectories in directory,
> including hidden ones
>
> 19646: Kbytes used in directory
>
> 56456000: Kbytes available (free) on disk
>
> To understand 420 or 694, for instance, you would need to go
> back and forth between their tooltips, trying to remember what the
> non-displayed tooltip said while reading the displayed one, and
> comparing them mentally, in order to grasp the difference.
>
> Two tooltips, for the two pairs, might be reasonable, however.
>
> In any case, change it however you like.

1. OK, attached is a patch that does what I suggested (two tooltips, not 1
or 4).

2. The patch also fixes the problem of not updating when you perform update
operations, such as add a file or directory.

However, there remains a case where updating does not refresh the info line:
file deletion. For some reason, `dired-after-readin-hook' is not run when
you delete files.

Is that perhaps a dired bug, or is it by design?
`dired-internal-do-deletions' is called whether you flag a file and then use
`x' or you mark it and then use `D'. Should `dired-internal-do-deletions'
run the hook?

HTH.