Re: Patch: enhanced mark navigation commands

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Patch: enhanced mark navigation commands
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 15:19:18 +0900

"Adrian Robert" <address@hidden> writes:
> Specifically, the keys M-p and M-n are bound to move forwards and
> backwards through the mark history.  Also, immediately after popping a
> global mark, e.g., with C-x C-SPC, then the global mark ring is used.

GIven that M-n and M-p are widely used bindings, I don't think you'll
win many fans by adding global bindings for them, unless the new
bindings clearly don't conflict or interact in strange ways with other
uses.

For instance, comint uses M-n and M-p; is the new functionality not
useful in comint buffers?  Also, given the possibility for moving
between buffers (with global marks), it would be very disconcerting if,
a user was repeatedly hitting, say M-n, and suddenly things "stopped
working" as soon as he popped into a comint (etc) buffer.

Gnus is another heavy user of M-n/M-p.

-Miles

--
White, adj. and n. Black.