Re: position on changing defaults?

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: position on changing defaults?
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 00:52:34 +0100

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

>> - selection with Shift-arrow keys
>
> I think this would be a good default.  If someone is willing to make a
> patch that refactors this code from cua-mode into simple.el, it would
> be worth considering.

So you want just shift-arrows to start/expand the region.

And transient-mark-mode on top of that...

Sort of like cua-selection-mode, but not quite ...
Then don't start from cua-mode!

Or use cua-selection-mode - to get all the benefits it provides!

cua-selection-mode will start/expand the region not just for
the shift-arrow keys, but (in practice) any shifted movement key.

If that is the objection to using cua-selection-mode, I could add a
customize option to limit it to just the arrow keys.  If not,
please explain what else is wrong with cua-selection-mode.
(oh yes, it also has delete-selection-mode on, but again,
that's a feature which could be optional in cua-selection-mode).

It also gives you the rectangle highlighting (which I think most
users would agree is quite useful) combined with the ability to
use the normal region kill, copy and yank keys also for rectangles.
So there's no need to learn a different command set for rectangles!

I don't see why it is really necessary to insist on refactoring
cua-(selection-)mode for these features to be used by default.
IMO, the time is better spent on writing/improving the documentation
for the cua features!

BTW, why is using a pre- or post- command hook so bad?

Also, why is it necessary to refactor it into simple.el -- it's
not that simple :-)