Re: merging Emacs.app

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: merging Emacs.app
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 09:58:50 +0900

>>> Hopefully the Mac OS X guys can get together and decide to support
>>> just one of the non-X11 ports...
>>
>> For Emacs 22, I'll maintain the Carbon port (and possibly the
>> Carbon+AppKit port) unless my development environment for older
>> versions of Mac OS gets broken.
>>
>> For Emacs 23, I don't have a plan to develop the Carbon port.  The
>> Carbon+AppKit port may be for my personal use only (I already have
>> the Core Text font backend driver for Leopard, and I can ignore
>> multi-tty for my own use), unless the Cocoa/GNUstep port fails to
>> become good enough.

> The question then is: would you be interested in using your
> expertise to help the Emacs.app port get merged into trunk, and get
> into a state that is at least as good as the Carbon port on
> emacs-22?

One may think that the two ports mainly differs in the APIs they use,
but what's really different between them is their fundamental design
and policy.  (Otherwise I wouldn't have tried to make another
Cocoa-based port.)

For example, the latest release of Emacs.app still doesn't quit with
C-g in certain situations such as `(while t)' or `M-! sleep 30 RET'.
Of course the Carbon port can quit there, but its strategy is not
directly applicable to the Cocoa port because of the difference in
their fundamental design.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden