M-x term & less -c

From: Mark Plaksin
Subject: M-x term & less -c
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 22:28:23 -0500

term doesn't clear the screen at the right time when you run 'less -c'.
I've noticed this on and off when piping commands through less.  If the
command takes a few moments to run you can see the problem.  Here's a
simple way to reproduce it with Emacs CVS as of a March 3rd:

emacs -Q
M-x term RET RET

Inside the term, type 'sleep 5 | less -c'.  '-c' tells less to clear the
screen first thing.  The screen doesn't clear until the sleep exits.

Run 'sleep 5 | less -c' again in the same term--the bottom half of the
screen clears and the top half is filled with lines containing only "~".
After sleep exits you get what you expect--the entire screen is cleared
and less is waiting for you to quit.

term-start-output-log says that before the sleep exits, less sends one
^M for every line in my window and then sends ESC[HESC[JESC[H.  After
the sleep exits, there is one of these lines for each line on my window:
ESC[00;31m~ESC[0mESC

Well, on the last line it actually draws "(END)" but surely that's not
relevant :)