RE: Feature request : Tab-completion for 'shell-comand'

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Feature request : Tab-completion for 'shell-comand'
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 08:14:20 -0800

> I think that when the minibuffer is active, we should still output
> a message, only differently (as does minibuffer-message).  Maybe just
> using minibuffer-message (and changing it so it uses plain "message"
> when the minibuffer is not active) would do the trick.

Haven't followed this thread, but FWIW, I use this a lot:

(defun icicle-msg-maybe-in-minibuffer (format-string &rest args)
  "Display FORMAT-STRING as a message.
If called with the minibuffer inactive, this is done using `message'.
Otherwise, it is done using `minibuffer-message'."
  (if (active-minibuffer-window)
      (save-selected-window
        (select-window (minibuffer-window))
        (minibuffer-message
          (apply #'format (concat "  [" format-string "]") args)))
    (apply #'message format-string args)))