Re: position on changing defaults?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: position on changing defaults?
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 12:07:13 -0500

> cua-selection-mode will start/expand the region not just for
> the shift-arrow keys, but (in practice) any shifted movement key.

That's fine.  I don't think it matters much whether it does or not.

> It also gives you the rectangle highlighting (which I think most
> users would agree is quite useful) combined with the ability to
> use the normal region kill, copy and yank keys also for rectangles.
> So there's no need to learn a different command set for rectangles!

Actually, I think the rectangle support is good, although I'd like it to
be a bit more like the normal region highlighting (e.g. same color, C-g
should deactivate it, should be allowed to have 0-width).  The C-g part
is important: I found it difficult to figure out how to "exit" from the
"rectangle-mode".

Also I'm not convinced by the special M-foo bindings and the special
treatment of self-insert-command.  Maybe it's just that I'm used to it,
but I find C-x r t to work at least as well if not better (e.g. it's
not limited to self-inserting keys).

> BTW, why is using a pre- or post- command hook so bad?

These tend to be brittle (e.g. when entering/exiting minibuffer prompts
or recursive edits) and difficult to debug.  I think the need for
pre/post command-hook is often a sign of a missing
functionality elsewhere.

        Stefan