Re: Terrible underline

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Terrible underline
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 23:31:25 +0000

David Kastrup wrote:
> "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I get terrible underlines with CVS Emacs 23, see the attached
>> picture. I guess this has something to do with the new font handling,
>> or?
>
> They look fine to me.  Have you looked at the screenshot?  Maybe it
> captures the way things should look rather than how they actually do?

Lennart's screenshot doesn't look good to me - it's underline merges
with the character bases (and doesn't break for the p descender like it
should if the underline is crossing it, but that's a more subtle issue).

However, it's probably font-dependent and font-size dependent.   I
imagine emacs could be using some metrics from the font to decide where
to position the underline...  And there's also a quantisation issue - at
small font pixel sizes, the "natural" position for an underline could
have to be distorted to match the pixel grid for a sharp, detached
underline.

Lennart, you might just try a different font and/or bigger font size,
see if the underline detaches from the bases...

Attached is what underline looks like on an out-of-box cvs build on my
system (which is apparently defaulting to bitstream vera sans.  In fact,
I can't seem to stop it using bitstream vera sans at the moment, but
that's another issue, see bug #35).

As you can see, it's not quite perfect (due to aforementioned descender
issues), but much nicer than Lennart's screenshot.

PNG image